First Analysis was a pioneer in responsible investment, having established the first private equity fund dedicated to the environmental sector, the Environmental Venture Fund, in 1987. The environmental themes of that first fund (the same themes encompassed in contemporary clean-tech and sustainability funds) remain integral to our current consolidated-focus funds, which also incorporate complementary themes in health care and information technology. Our guidelines for responsible investment, outlined below, reflect our long history of responsible investing and our overriding dedication to ethical and honest conduct.
- First Analysis considers environmental, public health, safety, and social issues associated with each portfolio company investment.
- First Analysis seeks to grow and improve its portfolio companies for long-term sustainability and to benefit multiple stakeholders, including consideration of environmental, social, and governance issues. First Analysis works through appropriate governance structures (such as boards of directors) with portfolio companies regarding environmental, public health, safety, and social issues, with the goal of improving performance and minimizing adverse impacts in these areas.
- First Analysis seeks to use governance structures that provide appropriate levels of oversight in the areas of audit, risk management, and potential conflicts of interest and to implement compensation and other policies that align the interests of owners and management.
- First Analysis is committed to complying with applicable national, state, and local labor laws in the countries in which it invests, supporting the payment of competitive wages and benefits to employees, and providing a safe and healthy workplace in conformance with national and local law.
- First Analysis maintains strict policies that prohibit bribery and other improper payments to public officials consistent with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, similar laws in other countries, and the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention.
- First Analysis seeks to respect the human rights of those affected by its investment activities and seeks to ensure its investments do not flow to companies that use child or forced labor or maintain discriminatory policies.
- First Analysis endeavors to provide timely information to its limited partners on these matters upon request.
- First Analysis encourages its portfolio companies to advance these same principles in ways that are consistent with their fiduciary duties.